Baked Eggs in Avocado
2 ripe avocados
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional toppings (such as chopped fresh herbs, diced tomatoes or grated cheese)
• Preheat your oven to 375°F.
• Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits. If necessary, you can slice a small piece off the bottom of each avocado half to make them stable and prevent them from tipping over in the oven. Use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh from each avocado half, leaving enough room for an egg to fit comfortably. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over each avocado half. You can also add any other seasonings you like, such as paprika or garlic powder.
• Carefully crack one egg into each avocado half, placing it in the hollow you created. If you're concerned about the egg whites spilling over, you can crack the eggs into a small bowl first and then pour them into the avocado halves. Season the eggs with a bit more salt and pepper, to taste.
• Place the filled avocado halves on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the egg whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking. Keep in mind that the yolks will continue to cook slightly after you remove them from the oven, so take them out just before your preferred level of doneness. Let cool for a minute or two before serving.
• Sprinkle your choice of toppings over the baked eggs and avocados. Chopped fresh herbs, diced tomatoes and grated cheese are popular options.
These baked eggs in avocado make for a delicious and nutritious breakfast or brunch. You can customize them with various toppings and seasonings to suit your taste preferences.